Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Planned Parenthood - Commentary

       After reading Brookes article on why planned parenthood should not be defunded, I decided to do my own research about it to learn more. I have always considered myself to be a pro-lifer and have had a very negative view of Planned Parenthood. I will admit, I viewed it more as an abortion center rather than the doctor's office that it is. After reading her critique and doing my own research, I do regret not supporting Planned Parenthood. Although I still do not agree with abortions, Planned Parenthood is so much more than that. 
In 2017, they provided birth control for nearly 2 million people, over 4.2 million STD tests and treatments, over 320,000 breast exams, and almost 295,000 Pap tests. Defunding Planned Parenthood would significantly decrease those numbers. Each woman or man that was treated by PP, was helped, comforted and taken care of. Those 2 million people on birth control are now having safer sex, the 4.2 million STI tests and treatments made somebodies life easier and the breast exams and pap tests made sure women bodies were safe and hopefully not suffering from something like cancer. Almost 7 million people were positively impacted by the help from Planned Parenthood. What would these 7 million have done without it?

Now after realizing how much Planned Parenthood does outside of abortion, I agree that they should not be defunded. The money isn’t coming from the government like Brooke said, but rather from being reimbursed from the medical companies. Planned Parenthood is a sexual health safe space which is much needed in our society. With pregnancy tests, STI tests and sexual health being a taboo topic, we need a place like Planned Parenthood where it is safe to bring up these topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment